Friday 20 November 2009

40: The White Stripes - My Doorbell

When I've been researching information about songs in my countdown, I've frequently turned to SongMeanings.net to see how different people interpret the song in question. But none of the user comments I've read on that site are quite as perceptive as this one, from user "memememe" about 'My Doorbell':
"it's obviously about his dick. any time a guy thinks about something that many times repetitively in that short of a period of time, it has to be about his dick."

Whilst I'm sure memememe is posting slightly tongue in cheek, 'My Doorbell' might as well be about Jack's dick. It certainly doesn't appear to be anything to do with the "bell, chime, or buzzer outside a door that is rung to announce the presence of a visitor or caller". The White Stripes do not write lyrics for people to understand, that much is clear.



Anyway, putting interpretations to one side for a minute, 'My Doorbell' follows the White Stripes' template to a 'T'. Meg (a.k.a. Bamm-Bamm Rubble from the Flintstones) smashes her drums, one at a time. There are no fancy drumrolls where Meg's concerned - it's just "der, der, der-der, dum, der, der, der-der, dum. And Jack (he's the slightly unhinged one, in case you didn't know) plays along to the same rythmn on his piano, while singing the song's main hook over and over - "I'm thinking 'bout my doorbell, when you gonna ring it? When you gonna ring it?"

Given that they are the most inventive band of their generation, this is pretty standard fare, but it jumped out on first listen to 'Get Behind Me Satan' as the one song that would be universally loved, and from my perspective, it's certainly proven to be the case.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like The White Stripes but I LOVE this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you prepare for hunting season? Do you want to get nice quality and cheap price hunting camera? Now the chance is coming, Wosports Waterproof Hunting Camera for 50% discount off, only $54.49, waiting for you here: Hunting Camera 50% discount off

    Discount Coupons: GUGP-NZ8XXT-J4WGWJ; GUXZ-5NZUNE-UCNYUS; GUV4-2RCMBD-VZ7YUL; GUG5-3AHTP7-RWUSJZ; GUFA-4PQJTX-8KUCJY

    Waterproof Hunting Camera
    Sunglasses Wireless Bluetooth
    Wosports 7" Wireless Baby Monitor
    Wosports Waterproof Sport Camera
    Wireless Bluetooth Sunglasses
    DVR Waterproof Camera
    Wireless Wifi Visual Doorbell

    ReplyDelete