Friday 18 December 2009

12: Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head

I wasn't allowed to watch 'Neighbours'. My parents didn't approve of soap operas. But I knew what it was, I'd heard the other kids at school talking about it. Occasionally, my Mum would go out after picking us up from school and would leave us with a nanny or babysitter. On those days, I'd sneak into the lounge and catch a furtive glimpse of that illicit TV delight. I was well aware who Charlene and Scott (Kylie and Jason) were, and I made damn sure that I found a way to tune in on the day of their wedding. We used to share the school run with another family, and they had the self-titled Kylie debut album in their car. Many happy afternoons were spent sitting in Cricklewood traffic jams, singing along to 'I Should Be So Lucky', 'The Locomotion' and 'Especially For You'.

Skip forward a decade, and Kylie had largely fallen off my radar. For a start, I stopped listening to pop music in the 90s and spent my teenage years listening to rock and Britpop. But moreover, Kylie's profile was much lower during those years. I do remember hearing the Nick Cave collaboration. And then, of course, in 2000, 'Spinning Around' was something of a comeback single. Nevertheless, I, like the rest of the planet, remained largely oblivious to Kylie's career revitalisation.


And then, just as I was beginning my second year of University, I heard that most-recognisable of all vocal intros. "Laa laa laa, laa laa la-la la, laa laa laa, laa laa la-la la". And I saw the video, and I was entranced. I don't need to tell you much more about the song. You know it. Everyone knows it. It sold 4 MILLION copies worldwide, which, for a single in the digital age, is mighty impressive. It topped the charts in every European country, except Finland, oddly. It was her first US top 10 hit for 13 years. I don't know for sure, but I expect it's one of the three biggest selling singles of the decade. It helped the album, 'Fever' sell nearly 10 million copies. And Kylie's bottom became the most famous backside in the world, thanks to the figure-hugging suits of the video. It's just a great pop song, an all-time classic.

1 comment:

  1. It was the Spinning Around video that made the arse a legend; Can't Get You Out Of My Head was the weird white dresses that had you watching out for a nipple slip, no matter how many times you saw it. But good write up; Kylie's been a guilty obsession of mine since she first popped up in Neighbours. Pop single of the decade for me.

    ReplyDelete